How To Earn Honors Credit
The Honors Program offers many opportunities for students to earn honors credits.
- Enroll in Honors courses and receive a course grade of B or higher. Many of your UMKC Essentials core requirements can be fulfilled by taking honors courses.
- Complete an individual Honors Contract in any course to receive Honors credit for that course. If you complete an Honors Contract for a course, you cannot receive Honors credit through the discussion group for the same course.
- Participate in an Honors Discussion Group – a weekly student-led discussion session offered in connection with certain courses at UMKC. If you attend a discussion group for a particular class, you cannot complete an Honors contract for the same class.
- Complete a study abroad program. Every summer, the Honors Program offers a one-month study abroad program. In addition, many academic departments at UMKC offer excellent study abroad programs. Up to 15 credits earned in any UMKC-approved study abroad program may be counted as regular honors credits toward the coursework needed to earn the University Honors distinction.
- Enroll in a Beyond the Classroom experience, which could be an internship, a clinical experience, practice teaching, undergraduate research or a community engagement project. Up to six credits earned in Beyond the Classroom experiences may be counted toward the University Honors distinction.
- Enroll in Graduate courses - Up to six credits of graduate-level coursework may be counted toward the University Honors distinction. An undergraduate student within 30 credits of graduation can enroll in a graduate-level course by submitting a special permission form.
- Complete a Senior Honors Thesis or Project.